Re: Fillers?

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fillers?
From: "rowr" <rowr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:38:56 -0600
If you want a good finish on filler colours, you should take a few pieces of cedar of different colours and then mix epoxy with a range of fillers and cedar dust and apply them to the wood and let them cure. Make some notes of the mixes that you use and keep the notes for later reference. Then when you need a certain colour on a certain wood, you go back to your samples to get an approximate mix. You can do this quickly by starting with epoxy and one filler and then progressively adding a little of another filler as you go along. I do this because all the fillers have different drying properties and when mixed with different colours of wood, the colour variation is compounded.

Another thing, ....... be very careful about your strip selection. I selected a dark strip to accent two light strips on a project. When it came to sanding the hull, I found that the strip that I believed was dark, was in fact a light strip with an 'oxide' layer on it. I am not sure if it is an oxide, perhaps our chem gurus can help us with that, but the bottom line is that when sanded, the strip turned a nice light colour and destroyed the pattern I was trying to create. If you are particular about the pattern you are trying to create it helps to lightly sand a piece of the strip before you apply it to determine its real colour.

If you are cutting strips yourself, be meticulous about keeping all the strips together from the same board that you started with. It is often very difficult to tell the difference between two strip colours, particularly in dark garages or workshops. When you sand and stain these strips, you end up with a mixture of darks and lights.

happy building
Roger

----- Original Message ----- From: <BDally6107@xxxxxxx>