Re: Fillers?

To: robert@xxxxxxxxxxx, warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx, drrld@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fillers?
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 12:27:25 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Robert and all,

I think your advice is good about using sawdust in the mix.   Generally, the
filler recommendations in the manual are my best guess at what  would likely
be easiest and strongest for a given function.  Sometimes  color is an issue
and I've found that "redder is better" when that's the case  because it
invariable cures lighter than the mix (mixing fine cedar sawdust  from you
sander with
407 often produces great color).  The fine  cedar sawdust option is nearly
always a good one and one that is covered a  lot in Nick Schade's book (the
book
that supplements the manual).  We know  that cedar / epoxy compatability is
not a problem.

When using non-epoxy compatible fillers (water / oil based and  others
typical of your local hardware store), I recommend that you be  very careful to
consult with Gougeon's help line to make sure that you're not  creating a
problem
for yourself that could include bonding failure--possible  even in areas where
the filler has be applied and wiped off.  I continue to  be surprised by the
properties of epoxy.  Most of these surprises are  positive, but occasionally
not.