Rudder

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Rudder
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 21:43:18 EDT
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Bram,
I decided to finish the lay-up on the rudder first to get the technique down.
 The end result looks pretty good, but I have a couple of questions for
things not covered in your PDF:

1.  Your material lengths did not specify how long to make the short pieces
for the rudder, but I made them proportional to the lengths you suggested for
the CB.  My blank was 44", and the resulting rough rudder is currently 43" and
1.8 kg (4 lbs), with the extra hybrid/carbon trimmed off, unfinished ends and
the peel ply surface.  Is this weight close to the expected finish weight?

2.  You didn't include a plastic sheet layer over the absorbent layer.  I
used one, unfortunately with a slight ripple, to keep the saddle from bonding
the layup.  Is the plastic unnecessary?

3.  My trailing edge is 1/8" thick with the excess trimmed off.  Your PDF
references using mylar with double sided tape to extend the trailing edge to a
sharper profile.  How do you use the mylar to extend and sharpen the edge, and
what epoxy/filler mix is best to use for strength?

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040