There she blows!

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: There she blows!
From: Romeisle@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 21:20:55 EDT
SOLOCOCOLOCO under siege again. Well guys I usually leave her on a  lift
behind the house , which makes it really easy to launch , but with Dennis
bearing
down on us I hauled her back on the trailer and tied her down to my deck
pads. Do to our wonderfull  weather here in the Fab Fla Keys, I have  got a lot
of hours on my boat since the Ft Desoto  meet. Sorry  I dont  participate much
in this list serve, but I personally think that this beast is  not for
everyone , I met many wannabes builders and sailors in Ft Desoto,  especially
the so
called Veggies that will have a very hard time getting a  handle on this
Beast. We have been all mislead by Brams claims "the easiest  sailing single
handed skiff "   I say Bull , NOT EASY BY  ANY MEANS>>>  this Beast has taken
its
toll on me , I have scars  and bruises everywhere on my body , I have ripped
the sails , broken the mast ,  tore off the spreaders,  broken the tiller,
etc..
  In the Miami  to Key largo race,40 miles,  while leading the mono fleet i
was suffed  into a stern wave of a 60 ft sportfissherman and about drowned and
had to limp  home 20 miles under jib at the mercy of the wind until a fellow
sailor sent his  dinghy to rescue me .  But after many months of trying  I
finally have  been able to bear off and set at above 15 knts .  WOW! , WHAT A
RIDE. I  took my GPS  with me yesterday in about 16-18 true, after stuffing her
couple of times and cartwheeling , I was able to bear off and set and jibe ,
QUITE FAST! when I got back I took my GPS out of my ass where it had wedged
itself and top speed was 23 knts . I have lost 20 pounds trying and the
hardest  thing for me is to recover when trapping out and you slam the waves
with
your  body so i bear up a bit and try to regain balance . NOT EASY. most of the
time i  will loose my footing and troll behind untill she heads to wind.   I
have many times thought of hanging her up on the rafters, where I feel many
will  lie in the future .  But I come from an Island where my people have
sailed
 over here in many different crafts and this one is no different , just a bit
 faster. Next year I plan to sail her to Havana from KW.    Good  Luck to all
of you and keep trying and  Wear a helmet.    Pepe