Re: There she blows!

To: Romeisle@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: There she blows!
From: Robert Harper <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2005 20:33:17 -0600
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Pepe I want you to know that your are one of the highlights of my trip to De Soto. I wish we could have had more time to sail together. You have more guts than I do. 40 miles in a swift is no small task.

How does the swift compare to the trimarans? I'll bet you feel the speed even more so close to the water. I chased down a catamaran and could go circles around it. Remember to get way back in a blow.

Keep up the enthusiasm and let us know how you are doing.

Romeisle@xxxxxxx wrote:
SOLOCOCOLOCO under siege again. Well guys I usually leave her on a lift behind the house , which makes it really easy to launch , but with Dennis bearing down on us I hauled her back on the trailer and tied her down to my deck pads. Do to our wonderfull weather here in the Fab Fla Keys, I have got a lot of hours on my boat since the Ft Desoto meet. Sorry I dont participate much in this list serve, but I personally think that this beast is not for everyone , I met many wannabes builders and sailors in Ft Desoto, especially the so called Veggies that will have a very hard time getting a handle on this Beast. We have been all mislead by Brams claims "the easiest sailing single handed skiff " I say Bull , NOT EASY BY ANY MEANS>>> this Beast has taken its toll on me , I have scars and bruises everywhere on my body , I have ripped the sails , broken the mast , tore off the spreaders, broken the tiller, etc.. In the Miami to Key largo race,40 miles, while leading the mono fleet i was suffed into a stern wave of a 60 ft sportfissherman and about drowned and had to limp home 20 miles under jib at the mercy of the wind until a fellow sailor sent his dinghy to rescue me . But after many months of trying I finally have been able to bear off and set at above 15 knts . WOW! , WHAT A RIDE. I took my GPS with me yesterday in about 16-18 true, after stuffing her a couple of times and cartwheeling , I was able to bear off and set and jibe , QUITE FAST! when I got back I took my GPS out of my ass where it had wedged itself and top speed was 23 knts . I have lost 20 pounds trying and the hardest thing for me is to recover when trapping out and you slam the waves with your body so i bear up a bit and try to regain balance . NOT EASY. most of the time i will loose my footing and troll behind untill she heads to wind. I have many times thought of hanging her up on the rafters, where I feel many will lie in the future . But I come from an Island where my people have sailed over here in many different crafts and this one is no different , just a bit faster. Next year I plan to sail her to Havana from KW. Good Luck to all of you and keep trying and Wear a helmet. Pepe

-- Don't be good. Have lots of fun. Sail fast, live large, and love life. Robert Harper