Re: SOLOCOCOLOCO unscathed !!!

To: Romeisle@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: SOLOCOCOLOCO unscathed !!!
From: Robert Harper <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 19:21:23 -0600
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Great news Pepe. Glad to hear you are OK. Sorry about the van. They are easier to replace than the SOLOCOCOLOCO. Vans come dime a dozen but there will only be one SOLOCOCOLOCO.

For what it's worth. The Swift is a hell of a lot easier to single hand than my Olson 30. Since my mast needs mending, I raced the Olson today. I had great starts but could not tack as well as the other boats. With half mile legs and twice around each tack I fell farther back. I sure missed my skiff.

The day was cut short when I lost the back stay and tore the spinnaker.

I want my Fugu. :(

Romeisle@xxxxxxx wrote:
Hey Gents, I tied my Swift Solo, on its open trailer to my deck pads on the side yard( south exposure) , where there are no trees or any forseable dangers, parked my van just east of it and hoped for the best. But Dennis was not to be fooled , even though we were a good seventy five miles to the east from the eye , we still felt a consistent 60 knts and some 90 knts gusts. At around 2 am my neighbor to the south lost his front porch , and the roof 20 X 20' proped up against their house, like a visor on a cap in a blow, all night long. I kept a vigil because although there is a good 80'between the houses it looked very dangerous and the SOLOCOCOLOCO was vulnerable, I knew that as Dennis would make its way north and the winds would clock from E to S and eventually W. Sure enough at 6 am the damn roof section , made out of alum foam composite landed smack on the van denting the roof and side and then sliding right on the skiff, I was asleep at that time and my neighbor called and alerted us , I went out there with a sawsall and cut the danm roof section loose since it had wedged itself between the van and the skiff, I managed to cut it down the middle and and backed the van enough so it would lie down on the ground , and then drove the van on top of it so it lie still . later when the wind died down to about 30 knts I went back to inspect the damage, expecting the worst, the van is dented and scratched , but the SOLOCOCOLOCO doesn't even have a scratch only the cover has a bit of worn spot , but not even a tear. That is one tough boat after all the beatings I have given it and a hurricane to boot its still looks as beautifull as the day I finished her, although I have noticed a bit of fading in the color of the dark strips from the tropical sun . See you all soon . PEPE, SOLOCOCOLOCO USA 55

-- Don't be good. Have lots of fun. Sail fast, live large, and love life. Robert Harper