new members, sailing, fleet building

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: new members, sailing, fleet building
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 23:07:14 EDT

I first want to welcome Larry Weese from  Traverse City,  MI to  our class
(USA  070).  Larry is our 71st class  member.
Had a great day sailing Swifts with Chris Wickham.  The wind gauge said 5 to
7 knots but  since we were often low trapping to weather and always sailing
heated up to  leeward, I suspect that we were seeing 9 knots a lot of the time.
I tried  sailing low and soaking down on one downwind leg and Chris took me to
school by  sailing high (heated up).  Chris  sails 49ers and is considering a
Swift and considering joining us in  Florida.  He stepped into  USA 002 today
 and gave me a go right out of the chute.  With some more boat handling time,
heâs going to be trouble for  âUnfortunate Eventsâ.  Itâs clear  that
Iâm
going to need to help him with some âspecialâ tuning advice in the near
future.  49er sailors just seem to  do well in the Swift from the beginning.
Iâll
twist Chrisâs arm to get him to give us his observations about the  boat.
Another  Seattle sailor approached me today  and he and his crew are looking
at joining the âgroup buildâ that is going to  start here soon.  All of
these
guys  are active sailors in other classes and the prospect of having 10
Swifts sailing  in Seattle by late next summer is  looking more probable all
the
time.  When we reach 10 on the starting line, I believe we will have little
trouble getting 30 a couple of years later.  We experienced this phenomenon in
the  70âs when we built the original 505 fleet.
We should soon have fleets in  Seattle,  Vancouver BC,  and New York City.  I
know that Christian is twisting some  arms in Virginia and hopefully the  ice
boaters in Michigan will get  going this winter.  Realistically,  Europe and
OZ are likely to take a couple of years to get  the kind of exposure weâre
getting in North America.  As soon as we get 5 boats in either,  weâll work
on
getting sponsorship for shipping eight or sixteen boats from  North America to
regatta in those parts of the  world.
Iâve recently been asked by several class members what can be done to  help
the class grow.  For now, the  most important thing you can do is to simply
sail your Swift in areas where  other classes are sailing.  Donât
underestimate
the affect that the beauty of the work youâve done building your  Swift, your
enthusiasm, and the speed of the boat have on others.  Eventually youâll be
able to get others  to join a group build and youâll have the start of a
fleet.
We are likely to have a big showing in  Florida this winter and that is  also
really important.  The world is  watching and waiting!  With your  help, I
believe we are on the cusp of something really big.