Re: Some resident boats need to register with the DMV

To: Aikisu@xxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Some resident boats need to register with the DMV
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 11:20:22 -0600
Just try and register a home-made boat in Utah. They look at you as if you just stepped off another planet and expect it to be something made of plywood and duct tape. They can't beleive you built a boat and didn't put an engine in it and then you have to wait an hour for them to have a meeting as to how to assess your new "thingy". I tried to register early so that I could be ready to go and imbed the VIN number in the boat. Third try was the charm when I told them that the boat was done. They wanted pictures of the completed boat so I showed them some of the photos of Fugu I had and one of Bram's saying "It will look just like this except the spinnaker will be red with blue."

Kayaks and canoes are so much easier. They don't register paddle boats.

PS. It will be easier if you save your receipts so they can assess the value based on the materials and you will want to show where you purchased the materials because in Utah they will hit you with sales tax for all of the stuff you bought out of state.