Re: Epoxy, and the impending winter...

To: al.pritchard@xxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Epoxy, and the impending winter...
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 22:28:48 EDT
Al,
My garage is located in RI with pretty typical New England coastal winters.
I was able to maintain 60 F thru the coldest months last winter when I was
laying up the hybrid and s-glass on the deck of USA020.  The well insulated
garage is unheated, but attached to the house, so I left the door open to the
house
and use quartz heaters to make it bearable on the coldest days.  Winter air
when heated is drier than other times of the year, so humidity is not generally
an issue here.  Furnaces lower the relative humidity by heating the air, so
your main concern should be in the temp you maintain during layup.  205 will
cure properly at temps above 40 F, but slower at the lower temperatures.  At
55-65, I had no trouble with the set times, but 72 F is ideal.

As far as paint, I assume that you mean epoxy primer with a two part
polyurathane, such as Epifanes.  My plan is to paint the top-sides of USA020 to
cover
some over-worked epoxy on the s-glass, but leave the deck natural.  I will be
painting the hull trim in black graphite epoxy and the rest in bright blue
with a white water line.  So paint away, but it will be a shame not to show off
some of your cedar on the deck.  Attached is my retouched photo with my future
color scheme.

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040

JPEG image