Epoxy, and the impending winter...

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Epoxy, and the impending winter...
From: Al Pritchard <al.pritchard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:32:34 -0400
Its that time of year, when a young mans thoughts turn to ....... epoxy. (sorry if I was leading you in another direction)

As we rapidly approach winter, and the lower temperatures that come with it. I wanted to start some talk over epoxy, and more importantly harder. The materials list calls for 3 different hardeners to be used in the construction process. West 205, 206 and 207 types. My particular building plan may differ significantly fro the rest of you. (I apologize in advance) I am planning on painting my boat, completly. As in no exposed wood. (Ok, now that you've recovered and explained to your wife what that loud bang was.

Id like us to start talking about two areas of hardener:

1) With the lower temperatures, how are builders in the North dealing with the need to maintain an environment in the 16C to 21C (60F to 70F) ranges? And what impact do the heating mechanisms have on the quality of the finish. In our particular situation we have both a wood burning stove, and an oil burning furnace to heat the barn. Do these methods of heating add water to the environment, raising the humidity?

2) What is the overall impact of using West 205 hardener, exclusively for the build process?

I look forward to you responses, and thrashing over the painting thing......

Al Pritchard
Swift Solo #069, Anastasia