about Greg

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: about Greg
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:30:11 EST

For some time I've been looking for a way to publicly  thank the members of
our class for all the work you've done to help make the  Swift one of the
fastest growing skiff classes in the world.
A look at the email on the list server while I was gone is a great  example
of the kind of strength and class loyalty that surfaces when the  foundation of
a class is built on home builders.  The synergy and brotherhood created by
the process of building our own high performance skiffs has been underestimated
 by most in the sailing worldâincluding myself.  All of us who have also
bought Swifts  that were commercially built benefit from this strong base of
people who have  first hand experience (I've built and bought two each).
I was pleased to see that everyone pretty much ignored  the âwankermailâ
that was posted to the site while I was gone.  Nearly everyone on the list
knows
of the  work that Greg has done for the class and recognized this as an attack
 by someone who is threatened by the fact that there will soon be a fleet of
Swifts sailing at Sandy Hook.  I understand that this guy has been  removed
from the list now.  As our  class grows, we will continue to occasionally see
this kind of attack and we  should continue to handle it just as we did this
time.
On the other hand, this guy did cause me to reflect on the things that  Greg
has done for our class and for skiff sailing and I have to admit that his
post managed to piss me off more than it did Greg:
Greg and I go back to before the Swift class was  being formed.  When I was
the  US class  president for the 49er class Greg was engaged in trying to help
build the 49er  fleet in the East.  A number of  circumstances had doomed the
class and it was the single most frustrating memory  in my sailing career.
At that time if you lived in North America you had  to buy 49ers from the US
builder and it had become clear that their boats  remained competitive for
only a couple of regattas before they would no longer  hold rig tension and
became very slow.  This company was also the only source for 49er parts and
they
were making  life miserable for anyone who needed parts by overcharging and
failing to  ship.  They had designed a similar  double trapeze boat that they
were
trying to market.  To compound the problem, the class had  voted to change
the equalization system, the outcome of which made it impossible  for any team
that didn't weigh 148 kg to be competitive.  These problems were added to the
fact  that the boat was difficult to sail when the wind velocity changed
because there  were no reasonable on-the-water rig adjustments. Greg was
helping me
fight to  fix these problems because he realized that it would be impossible
to build a  49er fleet in the East under the prevailing circumstances.  In the
end, we learned that the majority  of full time Olympic contenders that
controlled the class had no stake in fixing  the problems and refused to help
(they
were buying their own boats at regattas  overseas and having them shipped back
to the USA and in a short time, teams who  didn't weigh 148 kg left the
class, reducing the competition for that one  Olympic spot).  Five years after
these problems decimated the 49er fleets in the US, the ISAF joined Julian and
went around the class members by throwing out the equalization system entirely,
 and adding poor but workable rig adjustment capabilities so that part time
sailors can now sail the boat in a variety of conditions.  In addition, the
US  manufacturer's competing design failed miserably.  They had quit building
49ers about four  years ago (shortly after their competing design hit the
market) and now import  them from the NZ builder.  Continuous pressure from
Greg,
myself, and Dave Fagen forced them to  start providing reasonably parts
service.
I was developing the Swift as a trainer for 49er  sailing and had learned a
lot from the battles that Greg and I were  fighting.  When the boat was
launched, it was clear that the design far exceeded my design capabilities--
thanks
in large part to the frustrating lessons learned at the helm of the  US 49er
class.  The brilliance of the  Bethwaiteâs  had become clear to me  and I was
wise enough to realize that I should not try to reinvent the wheel  that they
had developed so well.  Rather, I would adapt and adjust their theories to
single handed sailing.  Greg, having witnessed the  problems and helped in the
battles, immediately realized that the Swift was a  potentially giant step
forward and decided to join the class.  More than anything else, his decision
would shape the class into what it is today.  Below is the list of his
contributions  to the class:
When we ran the  US supplier out  of 49er launcher throats, Greg came up with
the current core and construction  method which is lighter, stronger, and in
the end, less expensive.
When we ran the US supplier out of 49er forestay fittings,  Greg and I teamed
up, argued until we  reached agreement on the design, and Greg manufactured
the current fittings that  are superior to any skiff forestay fitting that
Iâve
seen on any skiff to  date.  The ideas that make it best  are Greg's ideas.
When we ran the  US supplier out  of carbon 49er tillers, Greg developed the
current method and cores.
When we ran the  US supplier out  of blades, Greg and I teamed up, used his
cores, and together developed the  lightest blades available anywhere.  When
the early designs failed, we worked out the solution  together.
Greg purchased and developed the inflatable that the class now counts on  for
rescue and coaching with the intention of using it when the other Swifts in
NY are completed and in need of coaching.  His purpose in starting the Skiff
League is to promote skiff sailing in  NY and he is well on the way to building
a Swift class at Sandy  Hook.  He knows that it  will take a couple of years
to get his own start but they should have at last  three there by mid summer.
This is the short list and fails miserably to  cover Greg's contribution to
the class.
Thanks for letting this guys email go by not responding  to it.  As we become
more  successful, expect more attacks on the boat and on our members.  The
world will always have a few wankers  that lack the courage required to either
build or sail a skiff and find it  necessary to try to bring down those who do.

Forgive me for responding, but if there is one new  subscriber that doesn't
know Greg, perhaps this bit of history may  help.
Have a great thanksgiving and thanks to all or you  for your help while I was
gone.