Re: an offer and note to Mark and other Swift builders

To: Mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: an offer and note to Mark and other Swift builders
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 10:01:20 EST
Mark,

What a great explanation of the procedure you used on the jib track.

Every time I see a picture of your boat I get a little more excited.   It's
beautiful.  While you probably dread putting on the non-skid, I think  it will
be what your Swift needs to remind people that it is a high  performance
sailing machine. I'll try to find a couple different non-skid  patterns that
have
worked well for me to post on the website.  It  is extremely important that the
pattern be functional.

If you or any other Swift builders get substantially rigged but need help
figuring it out, I would be glad to fly back to help you  (you need to  pay the
expenses).  I've been really impressed with the mailing list help  from
everybody and this offer is likely unnecessary.  So far, everybody has
eventually
been able to figure it out with this help.  Also, final tweaking  of the
rigging can be done at Fort Desoto and I will be glad to take a quick  spin in
anybody's Swift to help sort it out as long as we do it during the  clinic
days--not regatta days.

As a general note to all builders:  I'm counting on  you guys to help keep
the Swift's rigging above anything that  might come along by engaging in the
process of constant improvement.   Single handed three sail skiff sailing is
our
baby and it has been, and  continues to be, a really fun new brain teaser.  I
can  potentially save you a lot of time and expense with a little
communication.  The number of ideas I've tired that have failed  would blow
your mind
(and likely, your confidence in my design  capabilities). I've used the
approach
that  an "infinite number of chimpanzees at an infinite number of  typewriters
will eventually write the Declaration of  Independence".  If you have a
rigging idea, you may want  to post a general overview on the mailing list so
you
can benefit from and avoid  the portion of the idea that has already been tried
and  failed.  Please don't read this to mean that, because a rigging  idea
has been tried and failed, it's not worth pursuing.   Rather, use the mailing
list to learn from the failures and design around  them.  With this kind of
communication, we can and will take  single handed sailing to yet another new
level.