Carbon fiber rails?

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Carbon fiber rails?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 01:25:39 -0500
Cc: "Christian Rasmussen" <Christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
I've been working on a good way to waste perfectly good carbon - manufacture
the hollow (removed foam core) toe rails.
The best way I have so far produces nice fair rails that are light and strong
but involves 3 discrete epoxy steps.

Make the rails after the deck is glassed and has had first level of fair
sanding.

A) Preparation
  1. Bevel the ends of the rails and round the tips.

  2. You want to cover the rail in strong shiny tape (to which epoxy does not
bond) and stick the structure down to the wing in the right place. I did this
by placing several slightly overlapping runs of fiberglass reinforced packing
tape, shiny side down (sticky side up), on the inner wing edge. Tape the ends
and at intervals so they don't move. Place the rail on the patch of tape,
bending the rail to shape as you go. Use a tape hold down for your first end to
keep it in place as you go along. When done, check that it is fair or adjust
accordingly. Fold up the sides of the tape eliminating wrinkles, then apply new
runs of tape to the sides and top of the rail. Smooth out all bumps as best you
can.

  3. Lightly spray the wing top inner edges with Super 77 (remove with acetone
and final sanding later) and protect the wings and deck with a sheet of
plastic, smooth out all wrinkles in the plastic on the wing top and  tape the
edges too. Spray Super 77 onto the underside of the taped up rail.  Stick it
down to the plastic sheet on top of the wing where it should go. Check
alignment and fair curve or adjust.

B) Epoxy Carbon Cover

  1. Epoxy  2 carbon layers over the top of the rail so that the carbon strip
drapes over the rail onto the wingtop (plastic) a little on each side of the
rail. Once that is set remove the rail and pull out the foam core without
breaking the carbon cover. The tough reinforced tape makes this easy. This
should leave a smooth shiny inside surface. Lightly sand the inside surface.

  2. To make the bottom of the hollow rail, Wet out a carbon strip wider than
the rail along the top inner edge of the wing (on top of your plastic which you
have cleaned a little). Make some epoxy/410/graphite like molasses and paint
the bottom strip quite thickly. Paint the inner side of the rail cover
liberally. Place the rail top in place on top of the bottom carbon strip. The
idea is that the black epoxy/410  will slowly run down the inside edges and end
up on the bottom producing a smooth inner wall a smooth inside meniscus and
gluing the top to the bottom. Epoxy/410 is almost self leveling.

C) Beef it up!

  1. Carefully sand the structure on the disk/belt sander. Remove the extra
flange on the outer bottom edge. The internal epoxy will hold it all together.
Weight should be about 8-10 ounces. Cover the outside with a little silica
thickened epoxy / several carbon strips. As many layers as you think you need
2-3 or more?. Make the last layer neat and straight grained and joined under
the rail. Place the rail back in place on the wing. Tape down very lightly in
place, if need be.
  2. When set,  fair sand, cut holes in the ends for cords. install trap exit
with SS pop rivets. Use a rat tail file to smooth out the holes.
D) Sexy hollow rails!     um.. Solid as something made of bricks but lighter
  1. Glue in place on final wingtop surface with epoxy, no need for holes into
the air chamber. Coat with clear varnish or epoxy/207 or linear polyurethane as
with deck. It will probably need a center or end drain hole but don't know
where that should be yet.

  I'll add a picture later.
Good luck
Greg