Jib and Trap

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Jib and Trap
From: Keith Councell <keithcouncell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:45:09 -0800 (PST)
Below is an email / questions I had for Bram... My questions are bold and bram
is regular text.

  Message:
  Well I got out on the water today. Light winds (2-5mph, few gust up to 10)
Few questions for you...

  1. How high should the trap be. I think mine maybe too low. I never
comfortable being out on the trap or even hooking up. I know, I will get better
with time but just about every time out I have taken a swim. Today included, I
has the kite out and winds were picking up so I hooked on. It seemed as if I
too much to do. With time will improve but I think my trap is too low.
  Keith, the handle should be even with the top of the boom and the cleat
immediately below that.  You should be able to adjust the hoop from nearly
tight against the cleat to about four inches above the deck.

  2. The Jib Halyard.... I know the hook is loose per your pictures in the
rigging manual (pager 19) but what about tying the hook to the the down haul
block?
  You'll loose half of your purchase (power) unless you add another block to
the bottom of the hook and leave the one on the end of the short tag line.
  Also where should the bottom of the job be in relation to the spinner sock?
  You should look at the tell tales on the jib to answer this question.  Start
with the jib about 4 inches up from the forestay fitting.  If the top outside
telltale is breaking first, move the tack down or move the hook into a lower
hole on the clewboard.  If the bottom outside telltale is breaking first,
reverse the procedure.
  I had one of VMGs wipping break today, on the jib halyard. I ended up in the
middle of the lake with no jib...the boat like to point without a job that is
for sure. I ended up getting to a random shore and tying the jib to the
forestay. It worked to a point. I'm going to be fishing this week, that is for
sure. So why did you put halyard on the boat? why not just tie off at the top
of the mast? Just curous...
  Keith, you're starting to sound like and Aussie.  Not all of us want to tip
our boats over every time we raise or lower a sail!

  Good idea to post your questions on the server.