Re: Jib and Trap

To: "Keith Councell" <keithcouncell@xxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Jib and Trap
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2006 10:23:20 -0700
Not that a reply is required. One nice thing about the haliard is that you can drop the sails without having to capsize. I found this very handy when coming in down wind to the launch ramp with a 50 kt gust on my heals. The other nice thing about the haliard on the jib is that you adjust your leach tension by moving the sail up and down the forestay to change the angle on the clew.

I found that setting the ring high to start is easiest for me. I can let myself down easier than pull myself up. The lower the better for leverage until you are flat with the deck for leverage but being that low is hard to get back in the boat. If it is very gusty and switchy, I stay high becuase I will have to move in and out unless I want more teabagging practice. This that were in Florida last year will remember I got plenty there.

If you feel too busy, leave the main cleated until you get settled on the new tack and if you attach the sheet to your harness like Bram does, you can pick it up and adjust things later. Practice, practice, practice and when you are done, practice some more. Repetition and thinking things through will make it so you think less, you will develope a rythm that works for you, and actions will become automatic so you can get your head out of the boat. I like to visualize on shore like you see Olympic skiers in the start gate. It sounds strange but it works for me.

--

Don't be good. Have LOTS of fun.
Live large, love life, and sail fast.