RE: Different vang system

To: "'Jordan Spencer'" <jordan.afe@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Different vang system
From: "Robert Harper" <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 08:08:02 -0600
I've been reading that thread. I don't like the looks of the version you
sent a photo of but some of the others where the vang has been incorporated
into the boom look interesting. You can avoid weakening the boom from
drilling holes. There isn't much space to be gained because of the bottom of
the main. There is not much of a space problem on the Swift because you have
the entire boat to yourself. So far as I can see that as long as you don't
take short cuts, the Swift is a very durable boat. I have not heard of much
breaking under sail. The spars seem to be more than ample unlike some of the
guys with the 16's that would rather save a couple grams off their boom than
have a monster than can hold up. I know a little here and a little there
might help but a broken spar is VERY slow. Being on the extreme of the light
side might win a race now and then but a boat that holds up can win a series
easily.

Robert S. Harper

Information Access Technology, Inc.

  _____