Re: Video from Fort Desoto

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Video from Fort Desoto
From: DonaldMac <dfmcintyre@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 21:43:36 -0400
Cc: rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
If we only had one more day, I could have had Darius run the Whaler, and I would have tried adding to the raw stock. I know my way around the video world from interning at the local ABC affiliate in Detroit in a previous life, and handling portion of the video work for our county government.

Next time, I might be able to bring some of the county equipment, if the scheduling works. Downside might be if it's held out on the coast next year during the summer, Gail and I would fly out be w/o Whaler (our busy season for good weather is much like yours, June - August, and a 15day vacation would drastically cut into that).

The county has two DV cameras, one just like yours, and the next step down. The smaller one does not have the interchangable lens mount, but now that I've seen exactly what your trying to accomplish, it would probably work better, as it's smaller, easier to handle, and may be easier to find a soft shell waterproof case for it.

What would really be great is if I can locate one of the gyro stablized systems for rent for that time frame. I researched and located a rental agency for such a unit for a, um.... "project" that our office was working on (it involved video at night from an aerial platform....'nuff said) These gyro units would eliminate any pitch or roll. Period.

Don

BDally6107@xxxxxxx wrote:

Robert,
As it turned out, we got far less video than I had hoped. We expect a bit more to come in. Our first priority was to get video for class promotion. After that, we hoped to get video of all the boats for training. It turned out that my camera harness would not fit anyone else but me, so our volunteer camera man, Darius, could not use it. We did pretty well on the first objective but failed miserably on the second. Still, there is more video taken by others that we hope to assemble.
Regards,