Re: Update on my progress.

To: Swiftsolo <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Update on my progress.
From: Al Pritchard <al.pritchard@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 19:47:51 -0400
Cc: Warren Stevens <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Warren,

Good eye.

Over the winter, due to both the temperature fluctuations and sunlight, the hull began to split down the center. David can confirm this, as he was in the barn when the hull center line snapped apart. (a disturbing sound) Because of the split, it also began pulling away from the forms. (I think a number of people have experienced this as well)

The first thing I did was fill the gab, about 1/8 of an inch down the center of the boat with a thick bog of epoxy. Now before you panic, the gap was caused by shrinkage, as the winter months here in NJ are rather dry, and my strips are nearly an inch wide. Before I filled the gap, I went around under the hull and hot glued the the hull to the forms. (It helps to have a friend when doing this, so you can insure the boat is correctly pressing down on the frame. ) Once glued down, the hull was stable and did not pull or split after.

So, there you have it, the lines appearing on the hull where the stations touch are the hot glue remnants. (hope that wasn't to long of an explanation)

/Al