Swift sail information

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Swift sail information
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 00:11:25 EDT
With a fair amount of time spent going at it with Ron Watt, we've  learned a
few things that apply to your sails and boats.  The following is  what I think
we've learned about the sails that should help you:

1.   The luff and leech lines on your kite should be completely  untied,  the
boat sailed a couple of time in less than 10 knots, and then  retied so the
lines are just snug when fully stretched.  Failure to do this  will cause your
kite to gradually get slower and slower--especially tight  reaching.  Amazing
the difference once you make this correction.
2. In marginal trapping conditions (6 knots), this kite works best to soak
down instead of going high (come in off the wire).  In conditions  9 to 12
knots, stay out hard but try to soak down on every wave.   Above 12, stay flat
out
and sail only for speed.
3.  I've reduced my rake to the normal setting and the sails  work
better--especially the jib (I was carrying more rake than anyone else in
Florida).  I'm
now able to put the jib sheet in the center hole of the  clewboard and get
all tell tales to fly right with an even slot.  The boat  is faster to weather
than before.
4.  In flat water and light air (5-8 knots) use more cunningham and  less
vang than you might think you should (10 on the loos gauge for the  caps)

We've been having some great racing together and are learning quickly  now.
Any time you can get another Swift to sail with you--don't pass  up the
opportunity.

We must have a bunch of boats about to hit the water?  Let us  know when you
plan to launch?

I hope this information helps shorten the learning curve and keeps you in
front of the other classes that you race with.