Re: Plexus MA425 small use pak.

To: "Dave Lindsey" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Plexus MA425 small use pak.
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 13:18:08 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Re: Plexus MA425 small use pak.Dave,
I don't have any more mast head fittings, I sourced mine from Bram. However
they are available at Vanguard I think. Try Bram first then either Vanguard or
Bethwaite. I'll probably pick up a batch in Sydney when I am  there in December
and am working slowly on an alternate carbon one like the CST one.  They come
pretty rough and must be ground or filed down to fit, holes drilled, pin and
sheave added etc. They usually don't oxidize badly but I am anodizing mine as
you see in the picture, because I can, not because they need it. I'm also not
using the kit fittings to hang cap shrouds on the mast, but to reduce weight,
I'm taking them through a hole I drill under the main halyard sheave per a
suggestion from Bram. Also, a heads up for everyone rigging now,  the sheave
and pin are not in the rigging kit. Suggested part numbers from APSLTD and or
Fisheries will be in the Swift Solo KnowledgeBase wiki, fairly soon after the
website goes live.

Regarding the mast base fitting, I did made a few, mine are designed to be used
with my sliding vang collar and so have slightly wider diameter than the mast,
to be "removable" (so the collar can come off for maintenance?). They are
sposed to be screwed and have a thin polypropylene shim between them and the
mast to hold them snug.  I made the tang for these out of solid anodized
6061-T6 alloy as there were reports of the glass ones were shearing off for a
couple of people. I use glass as the outer layer on all the carbon parts but
they still need to be insulated (I used plexus). I'm not sure that you want to
fuss with mine, in fitting it etc,  you would have to lay  glass around your
mast base and sand it to fit the cup and provide sized shim and nut inserts (or
rivet it on).  I am happy to send one if you really don't want to make your own
though.
Greg