Re: Plexus MA425 small use pak.

To: "Dave Lindsey" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Plexus MA425 small use pak.
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 12:19:22 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Re: Plexus MA425 small use pak.Hey Dave,
I sent three packs in the box yesterday to you (and Robert) 'cause it sounded
urgent in your last email.
I was going to reply but have a very heavy load of things to do at the moment,
so I ran out of time.

To fill you in on my background concerns with repackaging this adhesive,
The syringe packaging and manual mixing seems to me to be a more convenient
system than the cartridges.  I wasted 1/5th cartridge just filling the mixing
nozzle and had to pump even more until the material was actually mixed (by
color). Don't use it if its not mixed properly, it doesn't set.

At the moment I'm not very happy with the syringes I bought. You can see a
picture attached of how I get it out without exposing it to air or moisture.
I'm not sure these precautions are really critically necessary for a 2 part
system, but I do them anyway.  The problem, I think, is that the syringe's
BunaN plunger seal is letting the methacrylate solvent pass through the seal,
right through the synthetic rubber. I didn't expect that but I noticed a bit of
discoloration in the end of the 60ml syringes. I think that this batch will
have a fairly short shelf life. I'll try to get a different "all polypropylene"
type syringe for the next batch. You might be able to help it along by keeping
it in the fridge at 4C until use as I do. Allow it a half day to get to room
temp before using it so that it comes out of the syringe nice and easy.

So overall, I think if you plan to use this stuff up fairly quickly after you
get it you will be fine. I will continue to re-pack it just before I send it as
well. Just use your judgment and don't use the dregs out of the bottom of the
tube for an important job.

Usage is fairly simple.
Its a 10 to 1 mix. You have 60ml methyl methacrylate monomer emulsion in the
big graduated syringe and 6ml blue colored peroxide catalyst in the small
graduated syringe. There is 30-40 minutes of working time at room temp, so no
need to hurry if you set up completely before mixing the parts together. Just
like you would for epoxy/fast hardener.  I think it is important to make sure
there is no more than one part blue catalyst to 10 parts of methyl methacrylate
monomer. This might cause improper crosslinking???. You are looking for a
blue-green(aqua) uniform mix. The solvent will dissolve most plastics,
therefore I mix it on an old ceramic tile or a bit of glass or in an old lab
beaker. Just wipe out when you are done with paper towels.

As always, protect yourself from high concentrations of solvent. This stuff
smells "pungently" like the dentists office. Use it in a place with adequate
air flow.

If these kits are not working out, then however cumbersome, we will work out a
system to get the large cartridges and the special gun around to the members
who need it.
Overall I think adding your own track to your mast is a fairly easy job and
allows you to make the best possible job on the weight and protective finish of
the mast. i.e. Sand off all the useless weight of black UV-sensitive epoxy and
recoat with a UV resistant coat of either 105/special coating hardener or (like
me) with 2 part linear poly perfection varnish. 2 part linear poly white might
be even better. However, it is an extra step, and you could just light sand and
coat the mast if the track is already on without getting too anal. Some sort of
mast UV protection is really required though.

Let us all know how it turns out please.
Greg