Re: Peel ply applications

To: "Steve Nichols" <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Peel ply applications
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 11:06:51 -0400
  From: Steve Nichols
  To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx ; swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 7:05 PM

  Thanks Bram,

  I agree, I would like to use the pre wet method on the hull but would make
sure i had at least 2 and preferably 3 people around to manouvre the rollers,
cloth and resin.
  I'll keep using it on jobs as large as the wings alone as it does give better
results.

  Steve

  BDally6107@xxxxxxx wrote:

    Steve,

    Thanks for the good info.

    It is true that the s-glass 8 plait satin weave we use is hard to wet out
from the top.  The trouble is that when resin is applied on top of the cloth it
tends to seal the weave and trap air beneath.  In a perfect world we would
always wet out the part and set the cloth on the wet out surface.  That way you
squeegee the resin into the cloth from the bottom  and chase the air out.  I
use this method on all small parts.

    On large surfaces when working alone, it is often impractical to wet out
the part before applying the cloth.  When you are forced to apply the resin on
top of the cloth because of time considerations, I've found that, once you have
a small wet out area,you should always dump the new resin on top of the wet out
surface and squeegee it onto the dry cloth surface with some pressure.  This
process helps minimize the amount of trapped air a bit.

    Thanks again for the input Steve.

  Check out my Swift Solo build progress on
  www.aussieswift.livesaildie.com