Re: Peel ply applications

To: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Peel ply applications
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:40:14 -0400
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Harper"
Where did you get your vacuum bagging gear and how much did the whole setup cost you?

Robert, I obtain my materials from Airtech https://www.airtechonline.com/
I opted for the thin tightly weaved peelply EconoPly J, it is $2.32 a yard at 60" wide. It leaves a very fine pattern compared to the course material. And in the photo I used Econoweave 44 breather also $2.23 per yard(60"). I bought a bolt of t-shirt material from the clearance bin that works well as breather ply too. I use that on smaller or flat parts.
I usually use painters drop sheet plastic from Home depot as the bag. For the job in the photo I used very light 2 mill plastic which stretches well into all the corners. For other jobs I might use thicker plastic, especially for flat jobs like bulkhead layup. I obtained the pump as a surplus lab pump for free, it does way more than I need. Alternatives are, the inlet of a compressor, a venturi on a compressed air line, the inlet of an old refrigerator's compressor (usually free). All available cheap, I think, check EBay.

I do not use tape to seal the bags. I use instead a pressure pack can of caulking, just bend the nozzle and a bead comes out. I put a sheet of plastic under the job as a big flange of plastic around the job and make a ring of calking on it then put a sheet on top to make the bag. Very fast and easy that way, no fiddling with double sided tape. With this calking you can seal the bag to anything in a matter of seconds (remove it to reposition with ease and reseal). It can seal around the vac tube entry, therefore don't require special nipples as entry ports. It stays soft, never sets under the bag, allowing easy removal when done. If you seal a bag to a solid flange (gunwale for example, as I did in the picture), after removing the bag the calking sets in air allowing easy removal by sanding or can be rubbed off straight away (and off clothes) with acetone.

You will notice the extra layers of material on top will hold heat in, so the epoxy will set faster than you are accustomed to. It is good practice to remove the peelply when the epoxy has set but before it reaches 100% of its strength and becomes brittle. When doing the deck I gave it 6 hours and then removed the bag and peel ply fairly easily. I was then able to use a boxcutter to simply trim off the excess hybrid edges to precisely where I wanted it in a few minutes, without sanding.

Hope this helps, good luck bagging, what are you making?
Greg