Re: letter from Forte on spars

To: rowr@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: letter from Forte on spars
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2006 08:52:45 EDT
Roger,
Great to see you guys getting out.  As you've said, It is great fun to  sail
the Swift but even more fun to have another one to sail against/with.   Ron
and I have learned a lot in Seattle sailing a lot of laps against one  another
and I have little doubt that we are just beginning to see the speed  potential
of the boat.

I have had extraordinary luck with the 207 coating but perhaps I should  have
been more specific about how I've done it.  both the mast  and boom in 002
and 013 have this treatment.  002 has 4 seasons and  013 has 2 seasons with the
only problem being on 013 where more than 17,000  miles traveling on the pads
on the top of my trailer have buffed it off.

To apply this or any coating, the prep work is really the key.   First,
you'll need some 40 grit discs for your random orbital sander.   Start by
sanding
the crap of the surface to the point that the remnants  of the mylar wrapping
are gone and the dimples are mostly gone.  This  will take some serious
sanding.  Next, wet sand the mast/boom with 200 grit  and a hose to get a
reasonably
smooth and clean finish (dimples gone  completely).  After the mast dries
completely, wipe it down with acetone  and fill any voids with some epoxy with
little silica and graphite  powder.  When that cures, wet sand again with 200.
Next clean the  mast again acetone and be careful not to get finger prints on
it (use latex  gloves).  Get a small foam roller and tray and mix about 16
ozs. of epoxy  with 207 and dump it in the roller tray.  Using a very dry
roller
 (only enough epoxy to make the mast look wet) roll the epoxy out very  thin.
 Let it cure for several days and apply some auto wax so that the  road film
will come off easily when you travel.  Every year or after every  long road
trip, clean the mast with some more auto wax and buff it by  hand.  As I said
before, I've had very good luck with this and now,  when the time comes, I can
refinish the mast with a little wet sanding and  another very thin coating of
epoxy.  It should be pointed out the amount of  weight sanded off will
approximate the 6 ozs. of epoxy coating that you actually  get on the mast (the
balance of the 16 ozs will be in the roller and some left  in the tray).  You
end up
with a very good looking mast and boom.

I hope this helps.  Looking forward to sailing with you guys.   Are you
coming down for the fleet championships in Seattle Oct 6 and 7?