Re: Centreboard length

To: "Steve Nichols" <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Centreboard length
From: "Greg Ryan" <greg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:48:21 -0400
Re: Tiller Layup & Centerboard and Rudder layup
      from [Greg Ryan] [Bookmark Link][Original]

      To:  <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      Subject:  Re: Tiller Layup & Centerboard and Rudder layup
      From:  "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
      Date:  Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:58:09 -0500
      Cc:  "Mark" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

      54 inches is a guide only but a good one
      There has been a lot pf discussion on the length and size of the CB,
search Catzooks for the info and why it makes a difference based on the
skippers weight.
      In summary, Bram would like to make a measurement of 55 as the max for
very good practical reasons but its not in the rules yet. we will discuss it at
Desoto. The area under the water is completely up to you.

      NYC skiffs will build, in cnc cut foam, whatever blade section or profile
you want. If you are using the off the shelf blade then we purposely cut the
stock and the foil longer than you need to aid in manufacturing. (keep the
usable part well away from the ends of the saddles that can deform during
fabrication).

      If you want my guesstimate
      for 165lb skipper cut off the top, there will still be plenty of area and
stock section to raise the board.
      185lb cut both, perhaps a little more off the bottom than the top.
      200lb+ make it at least 55in not more than 57in and cut off the bottom.

      I have attached a PowerPoint file showing the relative dimensions of a
couple of rudder options. In that document I suggest cutting the top of the
rudder stock. Now I recommend cutting off the blade.
      I have often thought that the CB top offcut might be somehow fabricated
into blocks for the cb case with a little ingenuity and poured epoxy/
bladetight.

      PS, just a reminder there is lots of very interesting things for builders
in the catzooks archive. I recommend spending a day and reading it all top to
bottom. Save the parts that you think you will need.

      ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark White"
<Mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>