Re: Sails and rig

To: BDally6107@xxxxxxx, wojtek_pagacz@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Sails and rig
From: Steve Nichols <aussieswift@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 21:57:11 -0700 (PDT)
First of all apologies for the extremely slow response. I've been away for a
few days and once I got back my computer crapped itself taking a lot of Swift
Solo info info which I had neglected to back up.

Anyway to explain the sreadsheet:

The numbers along the bottom of the spreadsheet are to represent the length of
the mast in metres.

The numbers running up on the left represent how much the mast bends in mm with
25 kilo applied as weight - after deducting the amount the mast deflects under
its own weight.

The charts 5 lines represent 3 masts.

1 line represents the Forte section as it has a plastic track and the fore &
aft stiffness is similar to the sideways stiffness.

The other 4 lines represent the other 2 masts that we decided would be
appropriate to use on the Swift Solo. They are both stiffer on the fore and aft
plane (CST do this by adding carbon or E glass track to the masts) They are
both softer in sideways movement. We ended up choosing the softer of the 2
sections.

I can't wait to test it out in anger.

Hope this clarifies the data.

Cheers,

Steve

Check out my Swift Solo build progress on
www.aussieswift.livesaildie.com