Fort Desoto and other ramblings

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fort Desoto and other ramblings
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 13:10:07 EDT

I hope everyone has had a good winter and is ready to hit  the water.  We
(Ron Watt and I)  finally got out for a good sail and did some testing.  School
is not out yet on the new shorter  tiller and the aft placement of the
spinnaker sheet blocks.  I'll need some time in heavy air.  Boat speed testing
has
shown that I've  got my work cut out for me if I'm going to finish with
âFelicity
Made Badâ this  year.  In spite of completely  different blades, our boats go
to weather identically.  We've learned that whoever is to weather  and aft at
the start tends to sail slightly higher/ better (likely because he  can gauge
his speed and height by watching the other  boat).
Itâs been unusually cold this spring in the Northwest  and we've found few
days that are tolerableâtemperature wise.  We know that it will eventually
change,  but not this week.
That brings me to the question of  Fort  DeSoto for a midwinter regatta in
future years.  Jane and I have  decided that we will be going to Fort  Desoto
in early spring for the next  several years.  We will share boat
transportation costs and bring a total of three or four Swifts and Swift
sailors  down each
year from the Northwest.
We're wondering how many others from around the country share this same
level of desire to get to  Floridaâs warm air and water in  late March and
early
April?  Please  let us know if you have an interest in an ongoing midwinter
regatta at  Fort  Desoto.
There is one consideration that should be of concern to all of us who  want
to help build the class.  For  many, it is difficult to take a couple of weeks
in March to go sailing and then  attend a Championship regatta in other parts
of the country in late summer.  We need to be certain that a  Florida
midwinter regatta does not  dampen enthusiasm and attendance for our major
regatta
each year.  With some creative thinking we should be  able to find a way to
support both events.
Letâs talk about this and let us know what you think?