Some tips for those launching their new Swifts

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Some tips for those launching their new Swifts
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 11:55:57 EDT
With so many new Swifts hitting the water, I thought I would share some  tips
for making your life easier over the next several days.

The first tip is covered in the attached PDF.  You'll find that the  standard
tiller extensions are great but there are a couple of things that will  help
make them better

During tacks and gybes you will briefly let go of the  extensions.  There
will be many other times as well that you'll wish  you had just enough friction
in the rudder that you can briefly drop the  extensions to use both hands to
perform some task.  The attached PDF  is the best answer I've found to date.
It
provides just the right  amount of friction and is durable.  As most of you
know, I cut all of the  foam crap (except the end ball) off the end of the
extension right from the  beginning.

The second tip is to very slightly bend your  tiller extension upward at
about the point where the shock cord attaches.   This will give you a couple of
additional inches of clearance above the water in  the off chance that your
tacks or gybes are not perfect.  While the shock  cord will eventually bring
the
tiller back forward after a blown tack, this will  often keep it from being
swept aft in the first place.

Don't hesitate to post your questions.  The first few times out can be  a
challenge.