Re: rudder blues

To: mwhite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: rudder blues
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:58:14 EDT

Mark,
Let me preface all of this by saying that it is always easy to give  good
advice while sitting in the calm behind a computer.  You are  correct about
this
being a discussion that needs to happen.

Let's start with the bear away. It's probably good that you failed since  the
round up in 40 knots when you had to turn back upwind would likely have
thrown you head fist into the mast at the spreaders. When sailing  alone in
strong
winds we really need to be wearing a  helmet.

The load on your rudder is really high when the bow goes down and  the boat
heals to leeward  in a bear away.  The obvious things  are to heal the boat to
weather and get as far back as possible before  initiating the bear away.  The
prudent thing would have been to go head to  wind and to have taken down the
main.  This is where the friction of grip  tape in the tiller extensions
really comes into play.  It will act  like auto pilot for that short time when
you
need both hands for something else  (like taking down the main).

As far as the rudder goes there are a couple of things.  First, I  think you
use a spartite gasket?  If so, there is little that could be  done other than
using more material in your rudder of by installing a rib in the  rudder at
the thickest point.  The rib could be built out of eight layers  of hybrid and
installed by running the foam blank through a table saw  to make a single cut
from two inches below the top down 18 inches.  Be  sure to cut a deep V in the
end of the rib to eliminate point loading at the  bottom end (you'll be
cutting the blank off at the top when it's done down  to the rib).  Before
inserting
the rib into the saw cut, rough up  the outer edges to make it look like a
wool sweater.  The rib should  be cut about 1/8" (3mm) narrower than the blank
and installed centered  with a few small dabs of epoxy / silica.  After the
epoxy goes off, use a  utility blade to cut a small V in the foam about 3mm
wide
and 3mm deep on  each side of the rib (both sides of the blank).

At this point you'll lay up the rudder like normal except you'll use  thick
epoxy/silica to fill the V on both sides just before laying up  the rudder
(while it's still wet).

I'll lay one up this way next week and post a PDF.

I hope this helps Mark.

Bram
n a message dated 8/20/2007 7:22:32 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,