Fwd: Rudder rip-off and other advice for builders

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Fwd: Rudder rip-off and other advice for builders
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:12:58 EDT

--- Begin Message ---
To: lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Rudder rip-off and other advice for builders
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:56:37 EDT
Full-name: BDally6107
In a message dated 9/9/2007 10:03:19 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

The rudder had completely ripped off the boat. See the  attached pictures.

I think it is fairly obvious what happened. A strong  bending moment bent the
pin which lead to the upper gudgeon block pulling  away from the bar. I think
this lead to the lower end of the pin bending  and the whole works falling
off.

Dave,
I too suspect that the pintle worked  it's way up and out of the lower
gudgeon.  On the other hand, I believe  your analysis is also correct regarding
the
need for the built-in cassette  bushings to be close to the gudgeons to
minimize the free span (and bending  moment) on the pintle.  From a structural
standpoint,  the  bushings should be as far apart as possible--flush with the
top
and bottom of  the cassette.

Oh, one final point; I used screw (4) to attach the gudgeon to  the bar. I'm
glad I did. I very purposely wanted this to be a failure point  vs. breaking
the bar. Now I  question if the rudder box should be  designed to pivot with
a shear pin. Comments?

001, 002, and 013 have a very high combined  sailing time in a variety of
conditions.  To my knowledge, this has never  been a problem on any of these
"high usage boats".  Remember,  the centerboard is going to hit any obstacles
in
the water before the  rudder.  The one designed failure point that I do believe
in is the  tiller.  If you fall on it, it should break before the transom bar
and  before you tear out the lower gudgeon.

I have a bit of advice to everyone  building their first Swift (this is
directed at all builders):   "Try to stick with the systems shown in the
manuals or
the revisions shown on  the website (and errata) until you have some time in
the boat".  I haven't  talked much about all of the failures I've had in the
process of  developing the current systems and methods used on the Swift.  I
now see  others trying systems and methods that I've tried and abandoned in the

past.  My own recent attempt to develop a better spinnaker  sheeting system
is a good example.  After trying two "alternative" systems,  I'm back to the
old one and can't tell you how much easier the boat is to sail  (gybe) again.
If I'd installed one of these  other systems  in the beginning, I would never
have realized how  truly bad they were and instead, simply thought that the
boat was difficult  to gybe.  I'm on design failure number 8 or 9 on trapeze
systems.  There is very little carry-over from double  handed boats to the
Swift.
 This is a new world in which everything has  to work flawlessly because
there is no crew to deal with  problems.  Exercise some skepticism when sailors
from other classes  offer ideas.

On the other hand, it is my hope that  everyone will try to improve the Swift
with new innovations.  I have  no illusions about my designs withstanding the
test on a hundred  minds working on better ways.  However, without the
standard  baseline, you will have no point of reference from which to judge
your
ideas.  Your latest "improvement" may be relative to a really bad  system that
you had installed in the first  place.

This advice is an attempt to  save each builder time.  For the most part,
changing  systems after completion is not a problem (I am indeed an experienced

expert on changing failed systems / ideas).

I will be writing a PDF soon to show the  process of installing new backing
plates on a completed boat (it is really  very simple).  This should minimize
fear that you may have regarding  the inability to change things once the boat
is  done.

Dave, with regard to your cassette problem,  I'm sorry that the PDF on how to
make the thing was not completed until you had  finished yours.  If you
decide to build a new one, I have the  new foam cassette and tiller blanks for
you.