RE: Rudder rip-off and other advice for builders

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Rudder rip-off and other advice for builders
From: "Ron Radko" <ron_radko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 10:23:06 -0700
Dave,

Your failure looks suspiciously like what happened on my musto when I lost
the retaining ring for the rudder pin.  The rudder popped off of the lower
gudgeon and bent the pintle almost exactly what you are showing.  It also
broke the aluminum rudder cassette where the pintle went through it.

In my case, there was no problem with the design, it was a dumb user error
by not taping the retaining clip for the rudder pintle.

Consider this yet another recommendation for taping every bloody split ring
on the boat!

ROn