Re: Ronstan Boom Cam Cleat and other equipment opinions

To: keithcouncell@xxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Ronstan Boom Cam Cleat and other equipment opinions
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:08:41 EST
Keith is right about this issue.  In the beginning I used the Ronstan  cams
on the mainsheet platform and thought they were ok--but I had a lot of  other
issues to work through.

I then decided to try making some continuous sheet guides from one side to
the other and found that Servo was the only company that made guides that I
could easily adapt.  It was not until Ronstan sent me some new cams in the
mail
to try that I really began to appreciate the Servos.

The Servos require less range to cleat and un cleat and more  important, the
sheet is far less prone to coming out accidentally.  The new  material list
will be out fairly soon and will include the Servos.

Also, regarding ratchet blocks,  the new Orbits hold better than  the
Ronstan/fredriksons, however, the auto engage feature engages far to  late to
use for
skiff spinnaker sheeting (requires too much pressure).  In  addition, the
thing auto-switches to free wheel often (and always at the wrong  time). Save
your money and use the  Ronstan/Fredriksens or Harken's auto  ratchet that is
engagement adjustable.  I'm sure that the next  generation of Orbits will be
better.  They'd be perfect if they had a  pressure adjustment and a different
switch because they grip better than  anything else on the market.