Re: Safety Thoughts

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Safety Thoughts
From: Keith Councell <keithcouncell@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 11:14:24 -0800 (PST)
Bram asked, so here are some of my comments...

I do a few things…

I try to start working out about a month to two months before the regatta with
more vigor. I normal work out once or twice a week, but about a month to two
months  before a regatta I try to work out everyday to every other day for
little (30 minutes to 60 minutes). I do workouts I enjoy… I like to swim so I
swim, walk, ride exercise bike… Also I make sure to keep it mixed up. (Here and
there I do lift weights but minimal…)
One thing I really work on, with having to get up on the Centerboard, is when
in the pool I use the starting block/stand to do pull up on. (I do not use any
leg movement at all, just upper body.) I found that this is about the same
height as a Swift Solo centerboard. I normal do 30 pull up, swim a little, then
30 more, swim a little, then 30 more until I am arms are really feeling it.
This one thing helped me the most. (These are easy pull up; I can hardly do a
few straight-up pull-ups.) Some times I use the handles for backstroke start,
but some time I grip the platform for a jumping start. By griping the platform
I found it simulates a CB leading edge.
One week before a regatta I slow down working out to very light work outs… most
of the time you are busy anyways with work and getting the boat ready.
When wind is greater then 2-3knts I never climb in a boat that is up right, its
better to get up on the centerboard and take your time. (If I am going to climb
in a boat that is up right, I climb in on the transom of the windward side.)
If I tea bag, I work really hard to hang on to the trap line to pull myself up
in to the boat. If the boat capsizes I give up and just get around to the
centerboard. As you sail the boat more and more you will find ways to recover
from tea bags without as much work. Its hard to explain via email so of the
things I do and see others do.
Get out a sail and much as you can and until you starting to feel tired. (I
take Gatorade out with me, you need more then water some times.)

To me it is just stay active a little, then stepping it up here and there. Ron
Radko I know works on a lot of “core” muscles and that is one thing I like to
focus on as well.

Remember sailing is a hobby but sometime in order to enjoy that hobby you do
have to work out a little.

Hope this helps a little.

And yes carry a knife and I like to carry a partial roll of electrical tape
just incase. (Electrical tape for boat repairs on the water before and body
repairs when on the water, make a great Band-Aid.)

My worst case I have every had (also my scariest) was at last years at the NA
in Florida. I was sailing around during a practice day with decent winds out
and one of the new guys (Musto or Swift, I can’t remember) was out so I was
over near them, giving them right of way, but watching… well I end-up getting
in a wind shadow and tea back then right away hit a puff. I was still hooked on
the trap hook and my feet were under the boat. The boat was in perfect balance
with me being ducked in and out of the water for what felt like a minutes (more
then like was 20 secs) but I could not get unhooked and I could not get on the
boat. To say the least the boat final got out of balance and capsized, I was
relived and head in to shore with my heart racing. The next day I went back out
without even question in much more wind...

Keith Councell