Re: Safety Thoughts

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Safety Thoughts
From: "Robert Harper" <rharper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:07:37 -0700
One thing I forgot was the discussion on PFD's. It is said that the primary reason they don't use them on the 18's is because the wings are so wide and there is rarely air trapped under the boat when it turtles so they feel safer being able to get under the water and work their way out from under the boat. I don't think this is a big issue in a Swift but there also isn't much air under the boat when it turtles. It was said that it would be a good idea to get one of those manual inflating vests like Bram uses rather than a standard PFD. That way you can leave it deflated to get free of the boat and then inflate it later when you need it. I still use a type II PFD and I'm not sure if I'll be getting an inflatable soon. I probably will if I get by somewhere that has one on sale that I am willing to buy.