Re: Roll Call

To: Peter Anders Lindner <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Roll Call
From: Ron Deane <rdea6314@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2003 13:15:55 +1000
Peter,

Thanks for the interest.

Hull frames are laminated from 6mm thick Douglas Fir to make them about 60mm
square. They were laminated around the 8mm ply permanent bulkheads, which
were hoop pine core, and Australian Silver ash face veneers.

Hull planking is Western Red Cedar, apart from the high impact area in the
forward 1.5 m by 300mm forefoot of the hull where it needs to ride over the
aft trailer rollers. (WRC was too soft and compressed under the glass on a
friends boat) That section is Douglas fir.

All hull strips are 16mm by 35mm, bead and cove. Glue thickened with cabosil
and finish coats were with  West Epoxy, and strips were edgenailed with
silicon bronze boat nails 85mm long, about every 350 mm - probably overkill,
but specified by the designer.

Internal  edge trim on the silver ash ply is Australian Red Cedar (known
locally as Red Gold cos of the price).

Internal keelson is two layers of 20mm by 150 mm Douglas Fir, with a layer
of cross grained 10mm ply between. Stem is about 10 layers of 6mm douglas
fir, 100mm wide laminated to conform to shape of bow stem/keel joint.
Lockers and bunks etc are all silver ash veneered hoop pine core ply. Same
for external coach-house sides, roof, sliding hatch, cockpit and transom.

Hull weighs about 600 kg with all hardware attached, but then has about
250kg internal ballast and about 300kg ballast in the retractable keel. I'm
now removing (well trying to remove) the internal ballast, (its epoxied to
the hull) and reposition all keel ballast on a bulb on the bottom of the
keel.

Should reduce total weight by about 250 kg, and double the righting moment,
and thus allow a taller rig.

Regards, Ron Deane