Re: Vacuum bagging

To: Nathan Anderson <nande12@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Vacuum bagging
From: Christian Rasmussen <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2003 21:18:34 -0400
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
What page are you looking at? I dont see it, and I am pretty sure its not being
used for this construction.  Probably just a shop vac being used for cleaning,
and plastic which is being used to seperate the parts so they dont stick
together.

Vacuum baging (never done it myself) is suppose to give a more even
distrubution of the resin (ratio of epoxy to cloth weight).  Advantages being
lighter/stronger boat. doing it manually you risk to adding too much epoxy
which makes the cloth (boat) brittle; too little obviously makes it to weak.
But I think you have to over/under do the amount of epoxy to the extreme to be
in any danger of encountering those issues. Just follow the intructions in the
Kayak book and you should be fine.

Maybe someone else on the list have experience with vacuum bagging and can add
their comments.

Christian