RE: Building in Vancouver, British Columbia

To: "Bram Dally" <bdally6107@xxxxxxx>,<swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Building in Vancouver, British Columbia
From: "tom owen" <tom.owen@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:24:13 -0400
Cc: "Felix Schliebitz" <f.schliebitz@xxxxxx>
  From: Jim Gillingham [mailto:jimgillingham@xxxxxxxxxxx]
  Sent: 27 September 2003 14:08
  To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  Subject: Building in Vancouver, British Columbia

  There is a Guy called Rod Tait in Port Moody who builds the most beautiful
strip cedar Kayaks - they are really works of art. He has a small workshop
and runs courses in the craft of strip cedar building and even lets
cusotmers build their own kayaks in his workshop. We went through the list
of materials and concluded that Bram's estimate was not far from the mark
(maybe slightly less in Canada!). Sadly, that is too much for my fortunes -
but I pass on this information in case there is some-one else interested.
You can visit his website on   www.orcaboats.ca

  When looking through the list of materials, there were a couple of thinkgs
he menntioned which may also be of interest:
  He would not buy glass tape as this gives a "hard" edge, instead he cuts
his own tape from the glass cloth
  He would use 2 x 4.5 oz glass instead of the 9 oz, which is easier to
apply and produces a stronger result

  Having already seen the article in "Wooden Boat", he was really excited by
the prospect of building a Swift Solo when I first aproached him. So he
would be very interested in building one for some-one else - the allure of
the wood is really appealing. I can pretty much guarantee the result would
be the most attractive Swift Solo in the fleet.

  Jim