questions and answers

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: questions and answers
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2003 22:58:31 EDT
I recently received these questions from one of our builders.  You will need
this information:

Bram, this is great news about the cedar strips.  Thanks a bunch.

I have a few questions for you:

1. on page 58, the manual shows where the cradle sits in relation to
the boat itself.  What stations do the middle of the carpets line up
with?  The reason i ask is because it will affect how I lay out the
stations on my particle board (i'm using gregory's suggestion of
starting with the patterns pasted to hardboard).

2. what diameter are all the holes drilled into bulkheads 6 & 8 (page
18)?

3. when applying the hybrid to the bulkhead strips, should the kevlar
be parallel to the strips, or at 90 deg?  I know it matters when the
kevlar hybrid is laid on the hull, which is why i ask.

probably basic questions, but I'd rather build one boat right than two
poorly. ;-)  Feel free to copy the list with your reply if you think
it would help others.

Answers:
Good questions.

The cradle frames sit on stations 6 and 10.  It helps to let the glass hang
over the front of station 6 a little more (it is not quite centered on the
cradle frame by about 2 inches--you can see what I mean in the picture on page
58).

The big holes in the bulkheads are 3 1/2 inch diameter and the small ones are
2 1/4.  Be sure to seal the edges of the holes.

The orientation of the hybrid on the bulkhead material is not critical but it
would be better if the carbon ran with the length of the strips (vertically).
 I could not tell you if I did that or not.

Thanks for the great questions.