R&D on the Swift Solo

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: R&D on the Swift Solo
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 22:56:50 EDT
It's time to bring you up to date on the mast and sail R&D.

But first, we now own the website swiftsolo.org and if you tell your friends
this address it will automatically take you to our site.  It's a lot easier
than single-handedskiffs.com because it requires a lot less explaining.

Good news and bad news about the new mast.  even though it is 8.5 lbs lighter
and 1/2" smaller in diameter, it is too stiff.  Forte will be making me a new
one right away and I suspect that I will be able to take another pound off of
it as I now realize that we will be able to eliminate the lower spreaders
again as we did on the 49er mast.  We will get it right very soon.

Forte has a new carbon boom made that they will ship very soon that will be
about the same price as the 49er aluminum boom that weighs much more.

The latest spinnaker from Banks is right on as far as design, material, and
retrieval patch placement.  We have a small issue with some minor leech hooking
that we will take care of before sending it off to China for pricing.

Until we get the mast right it is difficult to complete our mainsail r&d but
this will happen soon come hell or high water.  I'd determined to get this
done before it holds anyone up.  I appreciate your patience.

Builders in countries outside of North America may want to try to locate
carbon mast builders in their own country (I will help).  I will provide your
mast
builder with instructions on bend characteristics and dimensions for masts,
boom, and spinnaker poles.  It will be important that you check out the
completed mast to be certain that it bends correctly.  Forte is certainly
willing to
send masts anywhere but you will need to see if import duties and shipping
keep the price competitive with what you can do.

It looks like we are only a month or so away from certifying our first
builder (VMG Skiffs in Michigan).  They are tooling up to produce a lot of
Swift
Solos in a large facility.  Those wanting to order completed boats can look for
some news soon.

Stay in touch and once again, remind me if I've dropped the ball on anything.
 It's a busy and exciting place around here with an amazing number of things
going on.  If you've asked a question that I didn't answer--let me know right
away as I always try to answer within a day.  Our class is well on it's way.

Keep the sawdust flying.