Re: Graphite powder

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Graphite powder
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:45:00 -0400
Shouldn't we use the most UV resistant (207) with the Graphite trim and
under surfaces. In my case I will leave the boat on the beach during the
summer and I am worried about reflected UV. Not that NJ has all that clean
white Aussie style beach sand but I'm sure some UV will hit the undersides.

BTW for those that are interested there is some intelligent discussion on
the 49er forum board concerning top speed. Julian has issued a $2000 reward
for a verifiable 25kt+  streak. Emmett claims that 19-20kt is the hump speed
and to break that speed limit 49ers need to be using cutdown sails and sail
in +30kt wind. There is some mention of smaller skiffs consistently
outrunning the 49er in windy conditions - Emmett's GPS data.
How much of this is fiction is anybody guess, we will have to wait for the
GPS and video data. Video alone of a skiff at 30+kt would be worth the $2000
to the class IMHO.  Good luck to the challengers. I think I'll sit that one
out and save my boat and neck..

Greg Ryan
Swift Solo 009 -- Rose