random thoughts

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: random thoughts
From: pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 23:12:56 -0500
Dear fellow builders,

Waiting for our two-part polyurethane finish to kick, I have a few minutes
to share some thoughts on the building process. There have been many
lessons learned (as it is with every boat) but I thought there were a few
that were too good to keep to ourselves.

After a conversation with Jim Watson at Gougeon Bros. technical support, we
used their Pro-Set adhesive (175 resin/275 hardener) for bonding the deck
to the hull. Normally this would be a tense time because of the need to get
all of the surfaces covered with epoxy, the deck set to the hull and
everything cleaned-up before the epoxy cured. We are totally sold on the
benefits of Pro-Set.

The adhesive mixes in the nozzle, comes out as a liquid and immediately
turns to a gel that doesn't run or sag. This mix gives you about 75 minutes
of working time before it starts to set which is plenty. We had time to
spare and were assured of a terrific bond. It's more expensive than regular
WEST System epoxy but the convenience and features are well worth it.
Besides, its the perfect stuff for bonding parts to the mast like the the
gooseneck. We used just over two tubes and since it doesn't mix until you
use it it ready to go anytime you place a new nozzle on it.

More thoughts later

Pat Owen at VMG skiffs
Sail Number 32