Re: random thoughts

To: <christian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<pat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: random thoughts
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 13:51:13 -0500
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Another good solution to fixing parts together forever (Hull and deck) is
the PLEXUS range of Methacrylate glues.
The product line has many (>25) different formulations. From very strong and
yet rubbery like silicone to incredibly strong and not so flexible yet not
brittle - 1" gap filling no sag formulations. It can be used for composite,
thermo plastics and metals. Epoxy to epoxy works like the bomb. and the
tests list the strength results as "FRP failure" so you will pull the skin
off the core or delaminate the carbon in your mast before the methacrylate
will let go. I think that is good enough to bond the deck to the hull for
me. You need to get the formulation that has the correct open time for your
job. It can set in as little as a few seconds to up to and over an hour.
When it kicks, Bam, its done! there is no going back. Unlike epoxy it is not
leathery for a few hours, ok maybe  a few minutes.
Plexus has also been used to bond unbondable polypropylene tracks to carbon
masts (the reps will tell you it doesn't work, but nothing does except
plexus (for this use MA420 - MA425 or  the 556-595 series are even more
flexible.). I think this is a major advantage of the methacrylate glues over
the epoxys. It makes the useful for just about anything. Plexus methacrylate
glues are  two part and come with a gun and mixing nozzle. Use what you
need, throw the 99c nozzle and keep the rest. The gun is expensive so you
need to commit to one system and package type. Like ProSet,  Plexus is
expensive. I am tossing up whether to use ProSet or Plexus to bond the deck
both will do a good job, as will thickened epoxy if you use it right. Very
small amounts (10-15ml) (or larger) amounts of Methacrylate glue can be had
from McMaster Carr for testing or bonding that important small thing you
never want to come off. Gooseneck etc. Glueguru sells larger amounts. Plexus
is not the only methacrylate glue lest I sound like an add. Sika have a 3000
series product line that is a High Strength, two-component acrylic adhesive
designed to transfer high loads and evenly distribute stresses. Sikafast
3141 is a 20 minute open time slow cure formulation. I was told that the
49er mast track was fixed with this product but I'm not sure that is true. I
know the methacrylate glue used on my 49er mast track is slightly blue green
in color.
See also
http://www.gluguru.com/Methacrylates.htm
http://www.mcmaster.com/
Is anyone else getting sick of the smell of cedar. I am.
Greg
Swift Solo -- Rose

PS in the past Plexus has been generous and appreciated sponsors of the US
49er Fleet.