Re: Deck weight?

To: "Warren Stevens" <warrenst2001@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Deck weight?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 17:42:47 -0500
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Yes the total weight of the hull is enshrined in the rules. You could also
make an allowance for  the weight of the sails, boom and the blades in their
blade bag, because you might tuck these under the slings (in the cockpit
space)  if you have enough head clearance between the car and the boat when
it is all up in the rafters (remember why they call it a boom?). Basically
if you can swing comfortably from the trusses or the rafters then you are
set. Maybe I should say, if "I" can swing, in case you are more in shape
than me (not hard). I don't think you are going to have your garage fall
down because of the weight of a skiff. Even so, as those who have hoisted me
up a tall mast or two will tell you, you will need a tackle unless you use a
winch :-). If you are thinking about storing the boat this way you might
want to give some thought to how high the cradle or beach dolly carries the
boat, since you might also bring the cradle and or the dolly home on top of
the boat and just winch them up to the garage ceiling. Remember its not the
ceiling height that is critically important its the bottom of the open
garage door that wipes out the beach dolly (or worse the boat, and that is a
pain in the ar$e). Those with a tall SUV could be, convenience-wise, SOL
with an older garage door.
Greg
Swift Solo -- Rose
PS Just another thought on this. I have a friend at my YC who has an
expensive or ugly repair on his polyester (Laser2) dinghy because he didn't
get rid of the water inside before storing it upside-down on the garage
ceiling. We swifties put a lot of screws/bolts  through the wings and that
is where the water goes all winter. Make real sure you seal the threads and
holes of anything that breaks the inner skin lest water get into the core
and cause it to swell, delaminate, rot or most likely discolor. It can
possibly also cause freeze damage if you are not heating the garage. etc.
etc.