Re: 1/4" off transom?

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1/4" off transom?
From: "Greg Ryan" <gregoryrryan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 22:36:49 -0400
>I beleive the main
> reason for cutting these down is because of the
> thickness of the glass/hybrid on the inside of the
> hull/deck. (1/8 from each part)
I dont think the hybrid would be all that thick but

You want to maintain the designed volume of the hull specified in the
loftiing process, which didnt take into account an appreciable thickness to
the reinforcement. Extra volume will just make the boat float higher in the
water when capsized and Bram mentioned to me that he was concerned with this
as a practical matter of design. Thats what the righting strap and its foot
loops is for. 49ers wings have so much less volume that they float lower,
but still its a bit of work when you are learning and when you are tired to
get up on the blade to right the boat.

> Also I think the mast step and CB trunk are already
> cut down on the new revised plans for those parts.
> At least mine appear to fit with a cut down station
> 6 and 8, without futher cutting.

That is what Bram told me too. Shave 6 and 8 then nibble the other parts
where appropriate to fit during the deck fitting operation.
Greg
Swift Solo --Rose