UV protection

To: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: UV protection
From: Dave Lindsey <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:33:52 -0700
Swift-Solo Builders

    Thank you for your replies.

    Actually, I was thinking of the UV protection for the epoxy. It is my
understanding the epoxy will cloud if not protected. But your letters
provided good information. I will look into the Interlux Perfection
Polyurethane.

    Too bad I didn't know about Interlux sooner. I have put the
Graphite/epoxy on the bottom already. One of the books I have says you can
use up to 25% Graphite and 5% Colodial Silica. I used this on a canoe with
good results.

    I may be mistaken, but I'm sure there was some link to a cedar strip
kayak building site which advocated a Silkens product.

    Greg, I don't want to burst your bubble regarding your colour choice.
Rose. But, I have used a water based Cherry Stain on my cedar. In hind sight
it was not a good decision. With the stain EVERY imperfection in the wood
work is exaggerated. I have also had to be very careful not to let the hull
distort following the stain (water) application. It has added a great deal
of extra work. Perhaps I should consider writing a manual on what not to do.

    David Lindsey, #46