epoxy and cleanup

To: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: epoxy and cleanup
From: Peterfynn@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:18:31 EDT
As a wannabee builder, but having had a lot of experience with epoxy, I
would like to pass on the following tips:
Use gloves, but put sweat bands around your wrists if you work in 85C (wow!
that's 121 degF!!) like Greg.  Once you are epoxy sensitized you will not
build or sand another epoxy boat - ever - in your whole life!  Keep that  epoxy
off your skin - read the safety manual.
Cleanup - use vinegar on your skin - never acetone.  Acetone  will penetrate
your skin with no problem.  It will build up over  time.  Vinegar will
emulsify the epoxy (no good if the mix has kicked) and  the goop will come off
with
water and soap.  Get a gallon of vinegar from  the grocery store.
I would definitely endorse a "been there, tried that, didn't work" type of
listing.  As a reasearcher in years gone by I tried to write a paper on a
particular area of research detailing my failures.  Couldn't do it!   The
academic
community thought I was crazy.  Perhaps, but I travelled the  country seeing
my mistakes being repeated over and over again at various  universities.
Bram, my move to the east coast has not worked.  I am returning to CA  and
will be in touch.  Hope you had a good time.

Peter Fynn
ps - and, yes, epoxy needs to be protected from UV rays by painting,
varnishing, maybe clearcoating? (automotive).  I have used Z-Spar Flagship
varnish
with success on caprails.  Mahogany with 4 epoxy coats wet sanded  after coats
2,3,&4 and then 3 varnish coats also wet sanded.   Unbelievable deep shine.
One day I will experiment with an automotive  clearcoat as it is very hard and
seems to work well on  cars!