Re: More Centreboard trunk building for Dumbies

To: lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: More Centreboard trunk building for Dumbies
From: BDally6107@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:59:29 EST
David,

All of the pieces except the insert blocks and the 1/2" end blocks are made
of cedar strips with hybrid on both sides (the walls should be oriented
vertically).

The bulkhead at station eight butts into the side of the trunk just forward
of the aft edge (piece "C" is needed and permanent).  Also piece "C"  is one
of the pieces that you'll be screwing the insert blocks  into.  the one on the
other end of the trunk is for the same purpose (and  to keep the inside of the
hull from flooding).

The area under the mast step is double thickness  (piece "D" and the  deck).
The mast loads are transferred to the trunk/internal step and to  bulkhead 6.
 Actually there are large upward loads at the chain  plates that are shared
between bulkhead 7 and 8.  Think of  the deck and hull as the top and bottom
cords of an "I" beam and the  bulkheads as the webbing and you'll get the
picture.

A couple of months ago I posted a PDF on the website and sent it out on the
mailing list regarding the CB trunk.  You can find it at the bottom of the
"what's new" section on the home page--just above the pictures.  This will
answer most of your questions about transferring the CB loads.

I hope this helps and don't hesitate to ask more questions if it's still  not
clear.