RE: Contender vs. Swift-Solo

To: "Dave Lindsey" <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>,<BDally6107@xxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Contender vs. Swift-Solo
From: "Andy Howlett" <Andy.Howlett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2004 14:29:50 -0000
Cc: <swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
David,

The thing to remember about pretty much any high performance boat is
that when it goes wrong, (which it invariably will to start with) pretty
much the worst thing that happens is that you get wet! Ok folk do drown
occasionally but the numbers are very low - chances are leaving your
house in the morning and crossing the street is statistically more
dangerous . So long as you are the tenacious kind that will just get the
boat up and try again and again then you will find the thrill and the
rapid improvement in your skill will keep you coming back for more. When
learning to helm the contender I initially aimed to not capsize more
than twice a leg (short legs mind you) during a race, then once a leg,
then twice a race etc etc. Each goal gives a great sense of achievement
even if you are last in the race! However when you do get the hang of
it, passing hiking boats at high speed whilst flat out on the wire is
great sport, especially if they are hiking hard with a pained expression
on their face!!!

Take a look at the mast head view 49er video on Bethwaite's home page -
As you know this boat is the inspiration for the Swift and this is more
the sort of speed and sailing we should be looking at than the
contender. OK so these two pitch pole (something Bram has tried to
design against as much as possible) and fall in but it's not so bad!

http://www.bethwaite.com/10552,02,2-0-riva-2004-49er-gp--video-footage.h
tml - video 2

Andy.
Loch Lomond SC