Re: Swift solo, Toe Rails

To: Dave Lindsey <lindsey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Swift solo, Toe Rails
From: Warren Stevens <warren@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 07:16:23 -0800
Cc: swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
My toerails are 1 3/4" wide at the base, about 1 1/8" at the top, and
1 7/8" high on the 90 degree side.  The rail is 62" long.  I don't
recall a conversation about the height - there was a correction to the
length.  IMO it would be difficult to make them taller without making
them very "pointy" along the top edge.

gunwales - by wider, you mean the full 2 1/4" all the way along the
full length?  They should be that wide, and be careful not to cut off
any parts that hang over the edges of the strongback patterns for the
gunwale.  The third strip on the bottom edge will touch strongback in
only a few places - you have to brace it with something to make sure
it is straight compared to the other two already installed pieces.

I think you have your choice about tapering at the bow.  I asked Bram
about this, and he said it didn't really matter one way or the other.
I'm just putting the second layer on the gunwales now, and IMO they
look good without the taper.

Oh - and when you're doing the second layer, make sure you have enough
clamps, even if you use screws.  I'm tapping out my collection of
clamps, I have around 15 of them.

Warren

--
warren stevens - catzooks.com