Re: Hi from new Aussie Swift Solo builder

To: nic173@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, swiftsolo@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Hi from new Aussie Swift Solo builder
From: WFS03@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 20:22:28 EDT
Steve,
Welcome to the SSSA.  You have joined a dedicated group of  builder/sailors
with a broad spectrum of woodworking and boat building  experience, but all
with a love for a craft that also happens to be a work of  art and fun to sail.

You will find us all willing to help  and exchange ideas.  Just place a
question to the email list and I am  sure that you will get the answer in short
order.  Good luck to you in  getting started, as that is half the battle.

The full size templates are easy to make by following Bram's instructions
for applying them to your particle board sheets and cutting them out with a
good
 jig saw.  Alternatively, Greg Ryan had suggested gluing the plans to 1/4
inch hardboard (masonite) and cutting them out for use as router templates to
make the station forms.  After the rough jigsaw cut, I used a band saw to  make
the finish cuts just to the line on the hardboard.  I have found the
hardboard templates convenient to use in making some parts when my particle
board
forms were in use on the strongback.  Roger Wright makes the CNC-cut  templates
available at Aquilo Boats, but I the shipping may be expensive  for you, so
making them yourself may be the best option.

My deck and hull for USA020 are about to be bonded and I can not wait to
launch her this July.  I have yet to put the first strips together for  USA040.

The process is a source of tremendous satisfaction for me as the  result of
all the work is realized.  I hope that you experience the  same joy.  Keep the
saw dust flying....

Bill Scheumann
USA020 and USA040
Barrington, RI, USA